Thursday 11 April 2013

ESPN WSL Preview

 Tuesday nights ESPN WSL Preview featured interviews with Liverpool Ladies manager Matt Beard and new signings from our rivals Everton, Fara Williams and Natasha Dowie. For those who were unable to watch the show I have transcribed the interviews below!

Matt Beard "My job was to assess the current squad when I took over and look at replacing and starting all over again. We felt we needed that blend of domestic players as well as 1 or 2 internationals from abroad to give us that balance and I think we've managed to do that."

Matt on aspirations for the season "To be in the top half of the table - that's the minimum target we've got. I think we've got a squad that can beat anyone on its day but top half finish is a target to start off with and then anything above that will be a bonus."

Natasha Dowie "We had some great years at Everton, I was there for 4 years and won a lot of trophies with them. I felt like I needed a fresh lease of life and I've worked with Matt Beard before at Charlton. I heard of what he was planning on doing here at Liverpool and when I saw the talented players he was going to bring in from other clubs in the WSL and overseas I thought it was a team that was looking to achieve great things."

Natasha on team bonding "It just feels natural, we've been training every day it's been such a buzz and the girls have gelled so well. It's really exciting and we're all having such a great time here."

Natasha on aspirations for the season "I think deep down we've got the quality in this team, this squad to maybe make history here at Liverpool and I believe there can be special things this season for Liverpool Ladies."

Fara Williams "We've got players with international experience so they bring that kind of confidence that English players don't have. We have to hide what we want and what's wrong with putting it out there and saying we're going to go for it - that's what some of the foreign players have bought."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.